My Hexagon Bag

I have been keeping busy making QAYG hexagons by hand, generally just keeping my hubby company at night watching TV together.


I had become quite reclusive after my cancer operations and so with the advice of my cancer psychologist, I joined a very active craft group that supports Illawarra Cancer Carers  by having frequent craft stalls. It has been very therapeutic and I feel that what I am doing is worthwhile.


One of the donations to the craft group was someone else's UFO (Un Finished Object) which was a QAYG hexagons. The fabrics were all cut and just a couple of patches were complete. I offered to give it a go. I basically followed the excellent tutorial by knitsnquilts found on the Always Quilting blog, though I had to make a couple of adjustments being someone else's pattern and cutting. My bag is different, but she is the one that gave me the inspiration to make a bag instead of a quilt.


The bag minus the handles


I think the original purpose of the hexagons were to make them into a quilt but I decided to make at least one bag with some of the patches. This is how it turned out. Making the handles were very challenging. I couldn't find any fabric that was close to the colours without over whelming the bag. In the end I decided to twist his cord that was also a donation to the Carers and make my own rope.


I am quite happy with how it turned out! I am happy to make more bags if there appears to be a market for them.